This is blog of a woman who didn't know what she wanted and so chased after dreams and men in search of the answers...drunken hilarity ensued. Then one day she met a man who was everything she wanted, but he wasn't so sure. Then she did the unthinkable; after they broke up she gave him this blog address and she let him into her mind as well as her heart. Unbelievably, even after sorting through the sordid archives of failed relationships, one night stands and her lusty (and embarassing) pursuit to secure the heart of a certain young line cook, John somehow managed to fall in love with her too. Melina and John were married a little over six months after they started dating, running away to Las Vegas to seal the deal. You can imagine what the over/under bet was to see if they'd even make it a year!! Over a year later and they are still going strong...this blog has become their story. Need to tell me something? Email me at Melinalovesjohnny at gmail dot com
Check out my other blogs:

igotyourtexts.blogspot.com

melina310.wordpress.org
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.



Wednesday, March 23, 2005
A Love Letter To My Dad
Jackie's post made me do something similar, although not quite as good.

Dear Dad,
I know you can't read this a)because I've never given you the web address and b) because you are now in an urn in my closet next to my favorite sweater, but I wanted to write you a love letter because I miss you and I wanted to thank you for some things that you did, that other parents never think to do.

Thank you for making the magnetized walnut boat with me one rainy day when I was four. It was so awesome learning how to magnetize a needle, and make a cute sail to load into my dainty walnut. When we raced walnut boats around in the baby pool in the basement, I thought I was part magic since I was able to "pull" my boat across with just a simple magnet.

Thanks for helping me make a paper mache pinata in the basement for my fifth birthday party that was so strong that my kindergarten teacher had to take the bat from us and bash the pinata repeatedly until he broke a sweat (and eventually the pinata). I think we made too many layers. Just a guess.

Thank you for going on quiet hikes with me at the local national park. It was weird, but when we walked out there we both let down our guards and we actually talked like I was a grown up...too bad I'm still not a grown up, but at least I can talk like one.

Thank you for teaching me how to tie my shoes. The coolest part? You only had one finger and a thumb and yet you carefully explained it to me. In fact--when I was little, I was able to model what you did and for a while there, I could tie my shoes with just one finger and a thumb...that talent escapes me now sadly.

Thank you for teaching me good manners. There isn't a day that goes by that I haven't been rewarded for just being genuinely polite and nice. I don't need the reward, but it sure is nice.

Thank you for buying me an eye patch when we were in Disney World when I was six. When everyone stared at me for being weird and different, I kind of felt like I knew what it was like to be you for a day. Thank you for holding me when I cried after that experience as I sobbed that"the world was so mean to my daddy." You were a brave man, but you never admitted to it.

Thank you for teaching me the value of spending money for quality shoes and underwear. I think that you are the only man who has ever understood this. I blame my ungodly Victoria's Secret bills on you...but you were right, if you feel comfortable in them (and your own skin) then you'll look good in them too.

Thank you for teaching me that it was cool to stand out from everyone else. I cried when you lost my green tree name tag they sent us for the first day of kindergarten, and I cried even harder when you made me a new one, a bigger one, a red one...but when I got to school, everyone ooohhhed and ahhhed over it. You made me a trendsetter. Thanks you're cool.

Thanks for teaching me how to pack lightly. Your tutelage has paid off. I am one of few people that I know (especially female) who can pack a week's worth of clothes in an old bookbag and still have several clothing options.

Thanks for teaching me how to ride a bike. People underestimate how hard is to teach someone how to ride a bike with only one leg...and only a vague recollection of HOW to ride a bike.

Thanks for giving me a kickass middle name. It has never ceased to make me feel special, even if it is a little cheesy. I still feel a bit dangerous with it.

Thanks for trying to make me see what you saw in me, even when I was smearing makeup (badly) all over my face, trying to make myself "pretty" like the older girls. I'm not always the most secure but I get what you mean about natural beauty, it is by far better than caked on fakeness.

Thank you for accepting my plea when I was four not to have another child because "I didn't want to share you." I have never regretting that decision, not even for a second. You filled my heart and my time better than any sibling would've.

I do NOT thank you for eating my Chopper Hopper's (the Easter Bunny who rides a motorcycle) ears off every Easter, citing that the "ears are the best part." I do not thank you because now that I can eat the ears, I tear them off and throw them away (kind of like pouring out a forty for my dead homie).

Thank you for teaching me the fine art of spontaneity. Like the time Mom said she wanted lobster so we packed into the car and drove to Maine?!? That was the coolest thing ever.

Thank you for teaching me how to fish. I love the picture of you and I when I caught my first fish. It's picture of you in overalls, the fisherman's cap turned jauntily to the side with your hand on your hip, smiling down on me. Me, I'm wearing some crazy looking blue polyester jacket, my (then) long blonde hair waving around in the breeze as I smile sweetly at the tiniest Sunny ever! Thank you for teaching me how to remove the hook carefully and to let the fish go. I don't fish anymore since I don't like to eat them or hurt them, but it was fun with you.

Thank you for making me hot chocolate every night in the winter when I was up late studying or doing work for school. It melted the stress out of young body. It still does. Except I can't drink it because it makes me miss you.

Thank you for helping me mold my loud, irreverent personality. I used to be so unsure about everything and unable to make simple decisions. That wasn't a good way to live...and I'm much happier now.

Thank you for being my dad. Thank you for being such a good dad that I cry because of all the great times we had together, and I can forget about all the bad times (and they were some doozies). Thanks for making me cry right now. People probably think that I'm a weirdo. But hey, I'm your daughter.
posted by Melina at 3:05 PM