This is blog of a woman who didn't know what she wanted and so chased after dreams and men in search of the answers...drunken hilarity ensued. Then one day she met a man who was everything she wanted, but he wasn't so sure. Then she did the unthinkable; after they broke up she gave him this blog address and she let him into her mind as well as her heart. Unbelievably, even after sorting through the sordid archives of failed relationships, one night stands and her lusty (and embarassing) pursuit to secure the heart of a certain young line cook, John somehow managed to fall in love with her too. Melina and John were married a little over six months after they started dating, running away to Las Vegas to seal the deal. You can imagine what the over/under bet was to see if they'd even make it a year!! Over a year later and they are still going strong...this blog has become their story. Need to tell me something? Email me at Melinalovesjohnny at gmail dot com
Check out my other blogs:

igotyourtexts.blogspot.com

melina310.wordpress.org
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.



Wednesday, April 13, 2005
The Hills Are Alive With The Sound [er] Why I Live In The Cornfield
I asked for some things to write about and KS and BR came through big time...in fact, I'll be using their topics for the future. But right now, before I go to the mall to buy some clothes with ML I think I'll tell you why I live in the Cornfield.

I have never lived in the city. I have never, ever wanted to live in a city. I am a country girl born and bred. Do I have culture? Abso-fucking-lutely. Did my parents take me into cities to see all the sights so that I wouldn't be a country bumpkin? Definitely. But why? Why would any single girl want to stay in her cornfield?

I love the smell of fresh air. I LIKE to milk cows (although I admit, it's been almost ten years since I've done it). I love corn. There is nothing more amazing than seeing the night sky here. It's quiet at night. Some of my friends who come to visit are disconcerted by the fact that they can hear nothing at night. Hearing nothing at night--apparently--takes some getting used to.

When I was little, my friends and I would build massive forts that would take weeks to build in the woods. We would basically live in those forts all summer. Of course, there would be splits in allegiance and therefore there were many Lord of the Flies moments. In fact, I can recall a time when the boys put these other boys in the dry creek bed and peed on them from the banks...I don't remember what it was that they did--but I vowed never to do it (I think I was five at the time). We were all very innocent children (except for the abuse we bestowed on each other). I didn't drink until I was about 17 and that was with my dad. I smoked my first cigarette long after that (unless you count the discarded cigarette that my friend Josh and I puffed on when he was five and I was four--and I'm not a smoker now, just so you know), I didn't kiss anyone (really kiss anyone) until I was 16 and so on and so forth. We were all such good friends-running around in a wild pack of twenty or so kids that it was almost incestual to think of kissing the guys...but obviously, I got over that.

There is an allure to the Cornfield, that makes us want to come back here. I went away to college, a couple of hours away. In the five years that I was gone, I came back for major holidays only. I considered never coming back...in fact I was adamant that I was never going to come back. I didn't think I was going to go to the city or anything but I never assumed that I would be back in the Cornfield. My dad grew up here, and I grew up here...my mom is the only outsider. Most of my friends still live within the area...granted they are branching out more and more because they are starting families and want to live in MORE secluded areas because the Cornfield is starting to be built up, a bit more than most would like it to be. Except the kids.

I remember being 14 and laying in the street in our neighborhood (the only neighborhood for miles upon miles) on one of my friend's stomachs as my pillow and someone else was using my stomach as their's and we all stared up at the sky talking about all the things that we wanted to do with ourselves. None of our plans had to do with the Cornfield, but since I'm still friends with most of them I can't say that any of us failed in our dreams...the Cornfield just kept calling us all back.

(when I get back from the mall, I'm calling Matty and seeing if he's coming over...if he is...sex post tomorrow! if not, I'll have more posts for you later tonight).
posted by Melina at 5:46 PM